Saturday, October 18, 2008

The storyteller thy name is Kalki!

I devoured the entire volume of Kalki's "Sivagamiyin Sabatham" when I was 11 years old. There are chequer-board of characters and how lucidly the author connects them in the plot, shows his class.

The amazing Mahendra Pallavan, who dons several disguises, the prominent one being Vajrabahu, is the real super hero. He simply overwhelms the innocent Paranjothi, on his mission to save him and the kingdom from the poison spitting Naganandhi, the brother of King Pulakesi. Of every move of Naganandhi, Vajrabahu is one ahead. This elaborate historical story is narrated with a penchant for finer tastes, involving elaborate and intricate descriptions of art, culture, architecture and in general, life during the period.

There is the ethereally beautiful Sivagami, who is in love with Mahendra Pallava's son, Narasimha Pallava, without knowing his real identity. Sivagami, a dancer with a divine gift, is the daughter of Aayana Sirpi, a famous sculptor. Obviously, it turns out to be one sordid saga of a love affair with little chance for success.

Ofcourse it is a very long story and I just wish to recollect the events which affected me as a eleven year old..

The thrilling disguise games of Mahendra Pallava that made me sit on the edge of my seat.

The magnificient and well researched descriptions of the art, culture and the architecture of Kanchi and other ancient towns, which literally transported me to the era.

The scene where Sivagami renounces her love and offers her divine art form at the feet of the Lord. Tears in her eyes, she dances to the hymn... "Munnam Avanudaya naamam Kettal....".

Such poignancy in a pompous narration...Only Kalki could pull it off

4 comments:

Mohan said...

Suryaji, Good to know that you are a Kalki fan! I have read this and Ponniyin Selvan several times. Kalki's historic characters, picturesque desctiption of circumstances, and yet simple language give one the experience of living the story while reading. I find Project Madurai's e-texts (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3) helpful to read from the Internet. Audio podcasts are handy for listening while traveling!

Anonymous said...

Oh Suryaji, I wasn't lucky enough as you to read that novel in such a young age, but I did it two years ago, when I was 18!
I totally agree with your wonderful words on that novel!
I cried as I read the climax, or the anticlimax, how I call it!
But now it's really great for me to find Kalki's work on net as I'm now away from home!
Your words are beautiful too just like your music!
Love you ji!

Surya_R said...

Thanks a lot Mohan, for giving such wonderful links. I was away for Deepavali and so am replying after a while. My belated Deepavali greetings!!

Surya_R said...

Hi Mathu

Thanks... for sharing my sentiments on Sivakamiyin Sabatham. I saw your blog too, it is informative. China must be a wonderful place with a streak of mystery, always. Pl. do write about your discovery of that seemingly obstinate, albeit warm giant!

BTW, I too tasted salt, from my eyes...for Sivakami...

Keep writing

with love

Surya

P.S.

Dear Mohan and Mathu

just Surya will suffice...ji seems too distant